Chief Executive Officer
Since 2010, the Board of Directors of Jerónimo Martins has chosen to delegate the day-to-day management of the corporate business to a Chief Executive Officer.
The role of Chief Executive Officer is performed by Pedro Soares dos Santos, currently also Chairman of the Board of Directors, whose responsibilities, according to his delegation of powers, include the following:
- To manage all corporate businesses and perform all operations relating to its corporate objectives, included in the scope of its current role, as holding company;
- To represent the company, in court or otherwise, to propose and answer to any lawsuits or engage in any arbitrations, for which purpose it may designate proxies, as well as compromise in, confess or withdraw from any such lawsuits or arbitrations;
- To decide on loans or other financial operations to be contracted from the financial market at home or abroad, as well as on the issuance of debt securities within the powers of the Board of Directors and to accept the supervision of the lending entities, all these up to the amount of 50,000,000 euros and in full compliance with that prescribed in the Articles of Association of the Company;
- To decide on the provision of technical and financial support, including through the granting of loans, by the Company to companies whose stakes or shares the former holds in total or in part;
- To decide on the sale/transfer or lease (as lessor) any movable or immovable assets, including shares, units, quotas and bonds, and in general to decide on any divestments up to the amount of 50,000,000 euros or, independently of such threshold, whenever such divestment is set out in the Medium and Long Term Plans, as defined below, approved by the Board of Directors;
- To decide on the acquisition or lease (as lessee) of any movable or immovable assets, including shares, units, quotas and bonds, and in general to decide on any investments up to the amount of 50,000,000 Euros or, independently of such threshold, whenever such investment is set out in the Medium an Long Term Plans, as defined below, approved by the Board of Directors;
- To appoint the individuals to be proposed to the General Shareholders’ Meeting from the companies referred to in sub-paragraph d) above, to fill the roles of the respective corporate bodies, indicating those who will fulfil executive functions;
- To approve policies and rules transverse to the companies of the group, such as procedure manuals, regulations and service instructions,maxime those concerning (i) human resources, (ii) operational control, (iii) food safety and quality control, and (iv) reporting and investments;
- To approve the expansion plans with respect to the activities of each of the business areas, as well as group companies forming part of the group but not included in the business areas;
- To approve the organic structure for the Group’s companies;
- To decide on the instructions to be given by the Company to the management of its subsidiary companies with respect to those matters referred to herein, pursuant to and in compliance with the applicable laws.
In the course of his duties, the CEO is also assisted by the Managing Committee, a body appointed for this purpose by the Board of Directors.