The mission of the Ethics Committee is to monitor, impartially and independently from the company’s governing bodies, the dissemination of and compliance with the Jerónimo Martins Group’s Code of Conduct in all its member companies.
The Ethics Committee of Jerónimo Martins is composed of three to five members appointed by the Board of Directors, which shall also appoint its chairman.
The term of office of the Ethics Committee shall be the same as that of the Board of Directors appointing it.
In the performance of its duties the Ethics Committee is charged with:
- establishing the channels of communication with the addressees of the Jerónimo Martins Group Code of Conduct and with gathering such information as may be addressed to it in this connection;
- ensuring the existence of an adequate system of internal control of compliance with the Jerónimo Martins Group Code of Conduct and with the appraisal of the recommendations stemming from such control;
- appraising the issues that, within the scope of compliance with the Jerónimo Martins Group Code of Conduct, may be submitted to it by the Board of Directors, by the Audit Committee or by the Committee on Corporate Governance and Corporate Responsibility;
- proposing to the Board of Directors or to the Company’s Committee on Corporate Governance and Corporate Responsibility the adoption of such measures as it may deem fit in this connection, including a review of internal procedures and alterations to the Jerónimo Martins Group Code of Conduct;
- drawing up an annual report on its activities to be presented to the Committee on Corporate Governance and Corporate Responsibility;
- to ensure the receipt and follow-up of the reports of any irregularities embodying the violation of the Code of Conduct or violations of any rules provided for in the law of the European Union or in the national law applicable in the countries where the Group and the Companies which make part of it operate.
Jerónimo Martins Group (JMG) have adopted a set of principles and values, applicable to all employees and stakeholders with whom interacts, in all the geographies where it operates, which, in addition to the legal and regulatory provisions in force, rule its activity and constitute an effective and fundamental component of its strategy, ethical culture and the value creation process of the Group.
It is in line with the culture that characterizes the Jerónimo Martins Group, that it is assumed a posture of intolerance towards any behavior that results in the violation of the Code of Conduct (which includes the Anticorruption Policy), as well as any rules provided for in European Union or national laws, applicable in the countries where the Group and its member companies operate.
In this sense, the JMG has a set of robust mechanisms for the prevention and detection of irregularities in order to ensure:
- the promotion of a culture of transparency, integrity and accountability;
- the adoption of an ethical, honest and professional behaviour by all the Company’s employees and directors;
- compliance with European Union Law, national law and the Code of Conduct of JMG policies and legal regimes applicable in the countries where it operates;
- effective risk management
If you would like to get more information, please consult the Irregularities Reporting Policy and/or if you would like to report an irregularity click here.
The Ethics Committee comprises the following members:
- Jaroslaw Sobczyk (President)
- Pedro Maya
- Dominik Wolski
- Pedro Antunes
- Cristina Minoya Perez
All contacts received by the Ethics Committee are treated confidentially.
Comissão de Ética
Rua Actor António Silva, nº 7